To connect a Regula document reader to a remote PC via Remote Desktop Protocol (RDP) and then process documents on it, make the following changes on the remote PC and on the PC to which the reader is connected.
The configuration must be performed both on the remote computer and on the computer to which the reader is connected.
- Remote desktop activation
- Changing group policy settings
- Applying the changes
- Configuring Windows Server
- Connecting the reader via RDP
Remote desktop activation
- From the Start menu, select Settings.
- Open the Remote Desktop section
- Ensure that the Enable Remote Desktop switch is set to On
Changing group policy settings
- Run the Group Policy Editor from the Start menu.
- Disable the following option: Computer Configuration → Administrative Templates → Windows Components → Remote Desktop Services → Remote Desktop Session Host → Device and Resource Redirection → Do not allow supported Plug and Play device redirection.
- Enable the following option: Computer Configuration → Administrative Templates → Windows Components → Remote Desktop Services → Remote Desktop Connection Client → RemoteFX USB Device Redirection → Allow RDP redirection of other supported RemoteFX USB devices from this computer.
- Change Access permissions from Administrators only to Administrators and users.
- Click Apply and then OK.
Applying the changes
Then, you need to apply the changes you made in the Group Policy Editor settings. To do this, follow the steps below:
- Press Start and type Command Prompt in the search bar and open the application;
- Type in GPUpdate /force and press Enter;
- Restart the computer.
Configuring Windows Server
For Windows Server operation system additional steps are also required:
- Open the Server Manager and select Manage
- Press Add Roles and Features
- Follow the instructions of the setup wizard
- On step Server Roles select Remote Desktop Services
- On the Role Service page, select Remote Desktop Session Host
- Click Add Features when prompted.
- Click Install on the Confirmation page.
- Reboot the PC to complete the installation.
Connecting the Regula reader via RDP
- Run the Remote Desktop Service (press Win+R, type mstsc and click OK).
- Enter the address of the remote PC and click the Show parameters button.
- In the Local Resources tab, select Details.
- Select the redirected devices as shown below:
- Click OK.
- Connect to the remote PC.
- Run the Document Reader application.
- Connect the reader within the application.
- Scan a document.